Neymar facing uphill battle to recover in time for Bayern

Paris Saint-Germain V  Lille OSC, French Ligue 1 regular season.
Paris Saint-Germain V Lille OSC, French Ligue 1 regular season. / Tim Clayton - Corbis/GettyImages

According to a report from Le Parisien published a few hours ago, Neymar should remain out of the field for at least the next "three to four weeks" while nurturing the ankle injury he suffered on Sunday against LOSC Lille.

While Neymar is likely to miss the second leg against Bayern Munich, there is still a "1% chance, and 99% faith" he can make it there, reports L'Equipe.

The first medical tests (sprained right ankle, as stated in the official note published by PSG) were not very encouraging, of course, but Neymar has gone through this more than a few times in the past.

Just last December while in the World Cup, Neymar suffered an injury to his ankle but recovered in a mere 10 days and started for Brazil after missing barely more than a week with a similar injury. The stakes were so high that Neymar did everything to recover in time to try and help his nation, and that might be the case at PSG these days.

With the return leg of the last-16 matchup scheduled for March 8th, Neymar will have a little more than two weeks to at least regain some form ahead of the game against the Bavarian giants.

Neymar recovered quickly from a similar injury in the World Cup. Can he do it again?

That's already more than the 10 days it took him to recover from his buggy ankle in Qatar, and close to the minimum three-week timetable he was initially handed by PSG.

While PSG and Christophe Galtier would probably be better planning for a match without Neymar.

Next. PSG tracking three French Bundesliga players. dark

With Paris Saint-Germain's season hanging in the balance, though, you can rest assured Neymar will do everything to be present at the Allianz Arena on Mar. 8 whether he makes the starting XI or he has to come off the bench, such as Kylian Mbappe did in the first leg.